IEEE Learning Technology Standards Committee (LTSC)
Systems Interoperability in Education and Training
I/ITSEC, the Interservice/Industry Training, Simulation and Education Conference, Orlando, Nov. 30 - Dec. 4.
LTSC Monthy Meeting, December 8, 9:00am EST. Contact the Chair.
The Learning Technology Standards Committee is chartered by the IEEE Computer Society Standards Activity Board to develop internationally accredited technical standards, recommended practices, and guidelines for educational technology. We anticipate and solve market problems caused by incompatible systems and data formats. Currently, groups are working in the following areas:
- Actionable Data Book. A sponsored IEEE Industry Connections community is exploring the future of educational publications.
- Augmented Reality Learning Experience Model. A new working group is developing a standard model for defining AR-based learning activities.
- Project-based Learning Opportunities. A new study group is exploring the possibility of describing internships and other on-the-job learning opportunities and of building a brokerage system to match prospects with appropriate jobs.
- Competencies. A proposed study group will explore the possibility of defining a universal language for describing competency frameworks, which will allow these frameworks to be compatible and interoperable across communities of practice. See the call for participation.
- Resource Aggregation Models for Learning Education and Training. This working group has developed solutions for semantic interoperability across the various elearning content packaging schemes.
We welcome new members who can contribute their time and expertise to understanding and solving product interoperability issues caused by the rapid advance of new educational technologies. Most of the LTSC's current projects started in late 2014 or 2015. Individuals interested in participating are encouraged to contact the LTSC Chair or the relevant working group or study group chair:
- LTSC Chair: Avron Barr [avron at aldo.com]
- Augmented Reality Learning Experience Model (ARLEM WG): Christine Perey [cperey at perey.com] and Fridolin Wild [fridolin.wild at open.ac.uk]
- Task Model for Project-based Learning (TMPL SG): Jim Schoening [jimschoening1 at gmail.com]
- Competencies: Avron Barr [avron at aldo.com]
- Actionable Data Book (ADB SG with IEEE Industry Connections): John Costa [jbcosta at repubit.com]
- Resource Aggregation Models for Learning, Education, and Training (RAMLET WG): Kerry Blinco [kerry.blinco < at > iinet.net.au]
The LTSC members meet online every month to review progress in the working groups and discuss problems and new projects. All LTSC meetings are open to interested parties.